AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Position Title: Shelter Advocate
Employment Status: Weekends
Reports To: Chief Program Officer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Site: Residential facility and off-site locations
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide trauma-informed, culturally appropriate, and accessible and supportive services for emergency shelter program participants by assisting in achieving self-sufficiency, responding to crisis telephone calls, and maintaining operations of the emergency shelter program.
- Maintain the confidentiality of participants
- Provide crisis intervention, trauma-informed supportive services, safety planning, and information and referral
- Respond to crisis calls and make decisions about appropriateness of shelter for callers
- Provide and arrange emergency and essential transportation
- Conduct intakes and assessments; enter data; document service provision; and maintain daily case noted
- Provide back-up and additional support to other staff as part of a team approach
- Monitor shelter program operations; assist with cleaning and maintenance of facility when needed
- Provide services in compliance with all funding contracts, including data and report preparation
- Attend staff meetings and in-service trainings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of domestic violence, sexual violence, dating violence, homelessness, and child abuse
- Knowledge of case management, crisis intervention, and conflict resolution techniques
- Skills in written documentation and interpersonal communication
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Ability to remain calm, use sound judgement, and determine specific action under pressure
Alternatives Incorporated is committed to creating an inclusive team; applicants from historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested persons should submit a letter of interest and resume to: Kelly Buzan, Chief Program Officer, P.O. Box 1302, Anderson, IN 46015; firstname.lastname@example.org; respond to the indeed posting; or (fax) 765-643-0291.
Alternatives Incorporated does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, political beliefs, or military and veteran status.