Alternatives Incorporated is a 501(c)(3) social service organization located in Anderson, Indiana. The agency was founded in 1978 by seven dedicated women who shared a common vision of peace in every home. Alternatives is governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees. We are one of twenty-nine domestic violence shelters serving Indiana's ninety-two counties.
Alternatives philosophy is all persons have the right to live in a loving, caring, safe and secure environment. We support victims through the initial crisis with the ultimate strategy of helping them achieve abuse-free and financially independent lives. In recognition of the complex needs of victims, we draw upon the resources of local communities to support victims in their quest for peace and security.
Our agency's primary service area is the counties of Hamilton, Hancock, Henry, Madison, Marion, and Tipton in East-Central Indiana. Our services are comprehensive and collaborative. They include:
- Emergency shelter
- Transitional Housing (for a maximum of two years)
- 24-Hour crisis call center
- 24-Hour crisis response team
- Emergency and essential transportation
- Case management and ancillary services
- Sexual assault intervention and treatment
- Support, referral, and advocacy for victims of domestic and sexual violence
- Specialized children's services
- Prevention education and programming
- Professional training and public education